Nippon Sharyo Meets “100% Buy America” Requirement
• Nippon Sharyo Manufacturing, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nippon Sharyo U.S.A., Inc., held an opening ceremony on July 30 for their expanded production facility, Shop 3 at Rochelle, Illinois. About 200 guests were in attendance, including dignitaries from the Federal Government, Illinois, California, and railcar industry.
• Nippon Sharyo invested $100 million to build the new facility to comply with “100% Buy America” requirement and produce mainly railcar bodies by using locally sourced products and services at Shop 3. The company opened Shops 1 and 2 two years ago to assemble railcars for METRA and other customers. Completion of Shop 3 will help it become more competitive in the U.S. passenger railcar market.
• Nippon Sharyo won the bid for the contract for 130
railcars with an option for an additional 300 in November, 2012 from the
California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), and the Illinois Department
of Transportation (IDOT), which was funded by the Federal Railroad Administration
• Nippon Sharyo is going to have more orders. According
to the release, IDOT and Caltrans will soon finalize an additional option
order with the company that will enable Illinois to add another 34 cars,
for a total of 122 cars headed to the Midwest. Caltrans will buy an additional
• At the opening ceremony, Governor Pat Quinn remembered
that the site of Nippon Sharyo in Rochelle was just a prairie until the
company had a groundbreaking ceremony for building its first assembly
facility five years ago.
• Masaharu Yoshida, Consul General of Japan, congratulated Nippon Sharyo’s expansion and successful business and celebrated strong business relationship and friendship between the two countries.
• Nippon Sharyo Chairman Katsuyuki Ikushima said, “We will now be able to fabricate, weld and assemble parts for our car body shells right here. From start to finish our rail cars will be made in the U.S. for use in the U.S. I hope we will become the top passenger railcar builder in North America.”
• Akira “Kevin” Koyasu, President and CEO of Nippon Sharyo U.S.A and Nippon Sharyo Manufacturing made a toast for the successful expansion of the U.S. passenger rail car business, and to the State of Illinois, State of California, FRA, and citizens of Rochelle.
• The full story is available in the Chicago Shimpo’s 2014, August 22nd is
A tape cutting ceremony with dignitaries at Nippon Sharyo
Manufacturing's Shop 3
Governor Pat Quinn
Chairman Katsuyuki Ikushima
President Kevin Koyasu
Chet Olswon, Mayor of the City of Rochelle, expresses his gratitude and presents a plaque to Chairman Ikusima and President Koyasu for building factories and creating jobs in Rochelle.
Governor Pat Quinn and Chairman Katsuyuki Ikushima watch President Kevin Koyasu (front), who paints right eyeball of daruma doll that symbolizes the completion of Shop 3.