Let’s Make Good Memories under the Blue Sky
The Sports Day in Futabakai Saturday School
• In his opening remarks, Principal Katsu Shimabukuro
said to the students, “What your parents and I expect you is not your
perfect performances or creating a running record. What moves us is your
challenging spirit and never-give-up attitude until the last moment of
the race. And don’t forget rooting for your team.”
• Consul General Naoki Ito said, “You’ll show us what you practiced so hard for today, and your efforts will turn the best performance. Let’s bring this blue sky to all over America by your performance,” and encouraged the students, “Trust your teammates, cheer your team up and show your teamwork which is unique in the Futabakai School.
• Futabakai Chairman Hideyuki Takatsuki also encouraged them saying, “You’ll have good memories when you do your best. Just do it, so that you’ll remember precious memories of the Sports Day when you become adults.” He also asked their parents, “Please don’t tell them, ‘Have you finished your homework?’ today. Instead, please tell them, “You’ve done a good job today.”
• The Saturday School is held once a week, so the students
had only few hours to prepare for the Sports Day. However, races, games,
and cheering competitions went smoothly due to the students’ teamwork.
Some students went around the field with a sign notifying other students
of the time and place they should gather to attend a race or a game. Some
other students worked on the grounds to supply materials needed for games.
• When all races were over White Team gained 588 points, while Red Team had 587 points. Only one point made White Team the winner and left Red Team disappointed. However, Red Team delighted when Principal announced that judges and teachers voted for Red Team for excellence of cheering competition.
• Shimabukuro appreciated the students’ hard work and said, “All of you were shining in the races and games. I think that you learned self-confidence from what you can do. Let’s study hard from next week on, both in your local schools and Saturday School.
• He also answered Shimpo’s interview and said, “The
43rd Sports Day was very successful. I really appreciate everybody’s cooperation,
especially, students’ efforts to make today’s event so special.”