Don’t leave, The Movie Doesn’t End There!
Blockbuster “One Cut of the Dead” Premiered in Chicago
• The 37-minute film was shot by long take, the camera never stopped. But stay in your seat. You’ll see more. Movie “One Cut of the Dead” is perfect entertainment film, which drew international attention after winning second place in the audience vote at the Udine Far East Festival in Italy last April. “One Cut of the Dead”, casted by unknown actors and actresses, also quickly gained popularity in Japan after six days of introductory screenings in November 2017. The film was officially screened at two theaters in Tokyo last June, and now more than 300 theaters are screening it across Japan.
• Sophia Wong Boccio, founder and Executive Director
of Asian Pop-Up Cinema, quickly recognized the film last March and decided
to bring it to Chicago.
• Takayuki Hamatsu applied for a cast recruitment offered
by EMBU Seminal, a training school for directors, actors and actresses.
The school invites two directors and makes two films every year.
Interview with Actor Hamatsu
• Although Hamatsu played a frantic director, he was a quiet, calm person, and far from the image in the zombie film.
Q: After graduating from college, you entered a comedian training school and did a duo comedy about a year. You changed your career as a DJ, then again moved to become an actor before you reached 30 years old. Did you think that you finally got what you wanted?
• Hamatsu: Well, I thought, “Really???” I was feeling a pressure rather than being delighted. I just wanted to be an actor, so I didn’t think about getting a role of kind of a main character. But Director Ueda gave me such a position, so I thought “Now it’s time to do it.”
Q: In the film, you played a very different character. It seemed completely opposite from your own.
• Hamatsu: I was very anxious if I could act like an obsessed director because I’ve never got mad as far as I remember.
Q: But you did it very well!
• Hamatsu: I managed to do it, but it was pretty hard to act like that because I had never played such a role before. Anyway I acted like what I am.
Q: Where is the building located?
• Hamatsu: It is an old water purifying plant in Mito city, Ibaragi Prefecture. The local government has offered it as a shooting site for free. It was an ideal place to Director Ueda, so he took it. The ground premises were large. There was a tunnel to underground, and stairs were outside of the building. Everything was perfect for the zombie film.
Q: How many days did it take to complete shooting?
• Hamatsu: Eight days. We went to the building site two
times and stayed two nights and three days each time.
Q: After played a role of director, do you want to be a director?
• Hamatsu: No at all. It is impossible to me. I cannot get people together to work. During the workshops, Director Ueda assigned me to become a director, but no, it was beyond my capacity.
Q: Could you tell us about Director Ueda?
• Hamatsu: He never got angry. He led us naturally, and
we followed him. He was such a person, who enjoyed everything, even unexpected
troubles. Because of him, we had a good teamwork.
Q: I cannot write a whole story of this movie because it would disturb the audience’s interest in the movie. So could you tell us three scenes that you like most?
• Hamatsu: Well, a guy had a stomachache during a shooting and didn’t have time to go to the bathroom, so he had to do it outside of the shooting scene. As the director I told a make-up artist to make up him as a zombie. Her reaction was perfect at that time.
Q: How about your own scenes?
• Hamatsu: Oh well, my daughter was untamable, but she was reading the script of “One Cut of the Dead” in the living room. I was delighted by her behavior and patted her keys on the hook after she left the room.
Q: Could you tell us about your next appearance?
• Hamatsu: I participated in the film Magic Boy, Wild
Virgin, which will be screened in 2019. I have received several offers
from TV dramas.
Q: What kind of roles would you like to play?
• Hamatsu: I only think about being an actor, so I don’t have specifics. Anyway, every offer I received was for new roles, so I’ll try them. Well, I like comedy. I was performing nonsense comedy in theatres before.
Q: I read about you in Wikipedia. It said that you have a part-time job to clean bathrooms in a love hotel where lovers rest for a few hours.
• Hamatsu: Yes. It is true. I recently quit it because I became busy. I have no idea who wrote about me in Wiki.
Q: “One Cut of the Dead” made a huge hit. Can you get money for it?
• Hamatsu: Regarding this movie, we, the cast, received
no payment at all. But we began to receive job offers due to the movie.
Q: As you became famous, many candidates would run for becoming your wife. What types of candidate do you like?
• Hamatsu: I usually don’t talk much and prefer to stay quiet, so the type of Mao, who played the role of my daughter, would be a good match, I think.
Q: Thank you very much.
Takayuki Hamatsu, main character of “One Cut of the Dead” speaks on the stage in AMC River East 21.
A scene from “One Cut of the Dead”
Takayuki Hamatsu mocks a zombie in Chicago.