Trump vow to work to stop N. Korea missile launch at Guam
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Tuesday he and U.S. President
Donald Trump have agreed on the importance of working with the
international community to prevent North Korea launching ballistic
missiles across Japan toward the U.S. territory of Guam.
"We shared the awareness that the most important thing is
preventing North Korea from going ahead with the launch," Abe told
reporters after holding telephone talks with Trump.
The leaders spoke following North Korea's threat last week to
simultaneously fire four missiles into waters off Guam in the western
The flight path suggested by North Korea would take the missiles
over Shimane, Hiroshima, Ehime and Kochi prefectures in western Japan.
Abe said the threat of the launch toward Guam "has raised
regional tensions unlike ever before."
He said he affirmed with Trump the importance of Japan and the
United States working in close coordination with each other and with
South Korea, as well as in cooperation with China, Russia and the
rest of the international community.
The White House subsequently said Trump reaffirmed with Abe that
"the United States stands ready to defend and respond to any threat
or actions taken by North Korea against the United States or its
allies, South Korea and Japan."
According to Japanese Foreign Ministry officials, Abe and Trump
agreed in the roughly 30-minute talks that dialogue with North Korea
for dialogue's sake is meaningless and that now is the time for the
international community to strengthen its pressure on the country.
Trump told Abe that he made an appeal to Chinese President Xi
Jinping regarding North Korea in a phone call on Saturday, and Abe
voiced his appreciation of Trump's efforts, the officials said.
The leaders also hailed the adoption of the latest U.N. Security
Council resolution toughening sanctions on North Korea as a highly
important step forward, and affirmed the importance of implementing
it stringently, according to the officials.
Abe also said he appreciated Trump's commitment to the safety of
The leaders agreed to go forward with specific measures to
improve Japan-U.S. defense capabilities, according to the Japanese
North Korea test-launched two intercontinental ballistic
missiles in July, prompting Abe and Trump to agree in a phone call on
July 31 to take further action against Pyongyang.
Also Tuesday, the Japanese government said Japan's foreign and
defense ministers will leave for Washington the next day to attend a
security meeting with their counterparts Thursday.
North Korean issues will be high on the agenda during the
"two-plus-two" meeting, the first of its kind since Trump took
Japan will be represented by Foreign Minister Taro Kono and
Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera, and the United States by Secretary
of State Rex Tillerson and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.
"Given the extremely tough security situation...we will seek to
further strengthen the Japan-U.S. alliance by exchanging opinions on
various issues, such as North Korea and the (disputed) South and East
China seas," Onodera told reporters Tuesday.
Onodera and Kono also plan to separately hold talks with their
respective counterparts Thursday, the government said. (Aug. 15)